If you go to a gym, the elliptical trainer and treadmill are likely to be the two most popular machines. If you look around, there is always someone sweating on these machines, trying to lose a size or two.
Let me briefly explain why they are so popular.
- Both provide an effective cardio workout.
- They can burn a lot of calories.
Nevertheless, both treadmills and elliptical machines have their pros and cons. Which machine to use and when? Who are the best trainers for weight loss? Find out.
Also Read: Running is good for your health
Elliptical trainers and their benefits
Combining arm and leg movements, elliptical trainers are popular at home and in gyms. Let’s take a look at what it has to offer.
- Low-impact training is possible because the running motion does not impact the joints as on a treadmill.
- The handlebars move, so the whole body is worked and cross-trained.
- The lower perceived effort, meaning people work harder than they do on the elliptical. This helps burn more calories with less effort on the elliptical.
- They may be a little safer, as their feet never leave the pedals, so there is no risk of tripping or falling.
- By reversing the workout and pedaling movements, the hamstrings and calves can be worked a little harder.
- Elliptical machines are much cheaper than traditional treadmills, making them cost-effective.
Also Read: How To Train At Home Without Going To The Gym
Although elliptical machines have advantages, they also have disadvantages.
Prolonged training can lead to numbness in the legs. This non-impact training is also useful for people with joint problems. However, some impact training is necessary to maintain normal joint function. It doesn’t make sense to just sit there.
For new users, training on the elliptical machine provides a new challenge to the quadriceps muscles. This can result in a burning sensation, similar to what happens when you burn a muscle. Don’t worry, this will go away after a few workouts on the elliptical.
As the elliptical is suspended above the ground (pedals), it has no weight-bearing effect. This effect is important for strengthening bones and muscles, especially for older people.
Also Read: Gym Equipment names and functions
Treadmills Trainers and their benefits
Treadmills are one of the most popular pieces of equipment for training, both at home and in the gym. Let’s take a look at what it can do for our bodies…
- A wide range of training exercises, including walking, jogging, and sprinting.
- It requires greater force to propel you forward, resulting in a higher calorie burn rate.
- Well-designed machines have existed for decades and are commonly found in gyms and homes.
- Training on a treadmill replicates the natural movements of running or jogging.
- They are easy to use and take some getting used to.
These advantages seem to make treadmills unbeatable. However, this is not true. Treadmills put increasing strain on your joints, spine, knees, and ankles. Without warming up and stretching before use, treadmills can have a significant impact on the body.
Because the belt is in motion, there is a constant risk of missteps and falls, leading to serious injury. How hard can it be to break an arm or leg during exercise? Similarly, incline training and high-speed sprinting can be dangerous if the body is not prepared for such training.
Training on a treadmill does not train the whole body. Unlike elliptical machines, where the arm levers serve as cross-training, treadmills only train the legs and back, like jogging or running. Train everything but your legs!
Also Read: Is walking as good as running?
Elliptical Vs Treadmill Which Should You Pick? | Video Explanation
So how does it all work out in the end?
It all depends on the user’s requirements.
If you are training for a sprint or running competition, training on an elliptical machine is not a good idea. Make the treadmill your best friend and train day and night.
If you want a full-body workout and want to prioritize burning calories, the elliptical is the way to go. No treadmill can match its cross-training capabilities.
Elliptical trainers have recently invaded most homes and gyms. Their popularity is due to the many benefits they offer us. Moreover, working hard on an elliptical feels so much better than any other workout.
So, choose the one that suits you best and get started.
Hi, I am Matt Storace and I am a former personal trainer and founder of Beast Biceps. We had to find ways to train at home. When I started looking for the equipment I needed, I quickly realized that there were no good resources online. So I created Beast Biceps. It is a treasure trove of information developed from my experience and research. Read More Here
Leave a Reply