After a strength training rep, your muscles are on fire. You are sweaty, relaxed, and ready to train. But don’t give up on your sportsmanship. To ensure that your body recovers, have one last post-workout recovery drink available.
Immediately after exercise is a critical time, as you have lost a lot of water as sweat. It is also a time when the muscles lost during training need nutrition.
Drinking a nutritionally balanced drink after training can help prevent persistent muscle soreness, tension, and general fatigue. You probably want to get back to work, shopping, or housework after a workout, so you won’t have time to rest for long. It is important to choose a drink that will help you get back on your feet.
Drinking water will help reduce swelling. It also improves the functioning of our vital systems and mental performance. It also prevents overeating, as our bodies can mistake thirst for hunger. Here are the most important nutrients in your post-workout recovery drink and how best to incorporate them.
Best Post-Workout Recovery Drinks
After a hard workout, it is important to consume a mixture of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats to promote optimal recovery. The exact nutritional requirements will vary depending on activity level and time of training, but ideally, replenishment and rehydration should occur within an hour of training.
After exercise, a combination of protein and carbohydrates is ideal. If the timing of exercise is such that the meal is within an hour, then a combination of whole grains, protein, fruits, vegetables, and fats is ideal. However, if you are in a hurry or do not have time to eat immediately after exercise, there are excellent packaged foods and beverages that can support recovery.
Best Post Workout Recovery Drinks | Comparison Table 2023
High Quality | 5-Stars Picks | Great Prices
|JYM Supplement Science Post Fast-Digesting Carb - Post-Workout Recovery Pure Dextrose | JYM Supplement Science | Mandarin Orange Flavor, 30 Servings, 2.2 Pound, 35.04 Ounce||JYM Supplement Science||Check Price|
|Muscle Recovery | MuscleTech Clear Muscle Post Workout Recovery | Muscle Builder for Men & Women | HMB Supplements | Sports Nutrition Post Workout Recovery & Muscle Building Supplements, 42 ct||MuscleTech||Check Price|
|MHP Dark Matter Post Workout, Recovery Accelerator, w/Multi Phase Creatine, Waxy Maize Carbohydrate, 6g EAAs, Fruit Punch, 20 Servings, 55 Oz||Maximum Human Performance||Check Price|
|Orgain Lemonade Sport Recovery Post-Workout Powder - Made with Apple Cider Vinegar, Turmeric, Ginger, and Ashwaganda, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy and Soy Free - 0.53 lbs (Packaging May Vary)||Orgain||Check Price|
|Old School Vintage Build Post-Workout Recovery Drink for Women & Men - Muscle Builder Man Flavored Creatine, BCAA, Glutamine - Vegan Muscle Recovery Supplement Fresh Berries Kreatine||Old School Labs||Check Price|
|Vega Sport Hydrator, Electrolyte Powder, Lemon Lime, Post Workout Recovery Drink for Women and Men, Vitamin C, Vegan, Keto, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Non GMO (50 Servings)||Vega||Check Price|
|XTEND Elite BCAA Powder Sour Gummy | Sugar Free Post Workout Muscle Recovery Drink with Amino Acids | 7g BCAAs for Men & Women| 30 Servings, 1.19 lb, 19.04 oz||Scivation||Check Price|
|PacificHealth Endurox R4, Post Workout Recovery Drink Mix with Protein, Carbs, Electrolytes and Antioxidants for Superior Muscle Recovery, Net Wt. 4.56 lb, 28 Serving (Fruit Punch)||Endurox||Check Price|
|Garden of Life Sport Vegan Organic Plant Based Post Workout Muscle Recovery Powder for Men & Women - BlackBerry Lemonade 30 Servings, 100mg Magnesium, Antioxidants, Supplements, 15.7 Oz||Garden of Life||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Best Post Workout Recovery Drinks | Reviews 2023
1. JYM Supplement: Best Post-Workout Recovery Drinks
- MORE MUSCLE - Replenishing muscle glycogen stores as quickly and fully as possible after an intense workout is paramount to maximizing muscle recovery and thus muscle growth and strength. This is the sole purpose of Post JYM fast carbs.
- GREAT TASTE - No other post-workout supplements surpass the delicious of taste JYM Carb. Post-workout is the one time when having a sugary drink will actually benefit your body and not be stored as body fat. Simply mix with water and enjoy.
- FASTER REPLENISHMENT - Research shows that the best way to replenish muscle glycogen stores after workouts are to consume high-glycemic carbs immediately following the workout. Dextrose is the quickest absorbing carb you can find and the perfect choice post-workout.
- IDEAL LEVELS - Post-JYM Carb will help your body achieve elevated insulin levels. Having insulin in your bloodstream immediately after workouts helps glucose, amino acids (BCAAs), and creatine to be taken up by muscle cells to maximize their growth.
- VERSATILE USE - The Fast-Digesting Carb postworkout powder is offered separately from the Active Matrix so that you can control your carbs and customize your post-workout nutrition plan. It works great for both men and for women in supporting BCAAs intake.
- Science Post Fast-Digesting Carb - Post-Workout Recovery Pure Dextrose | JYM Supplement Science | Mandarin Orange Flavor, 30 Servings, 2.2 Pound, 35.04 Ounce
JYM Supplement Science Post Fast-Digesting Carb is a post-workout recovery supplement designed to replenish muscle glycogen stores as quickly and fully as possible. The primary ingredient is pure dextrose, a high-glycemic carb that is quickly absorbed by the body to support muscle recovery and growth. The powder is available in a delicious Mandarin Orange flavor and can be easily mixed with water for easy consumption.
The supplement is designed to be used immediately after an intense workout, as research has shown that the best way to replenish muscle glycogen stores is to consume high-glycemic carbs immediately following the workout. The dextrose in the powder helps to elevate insulin levels, which in turn helps glucose, amino acids, and creatine to be taken up by muscle cells to maximize their growth.
The JYM Supplement Science Post Fast-Digesting Carb is versatile and can be used by both men and women to support their BCAAs intake. It is offered separately from the Active Matrix, which allows users to control their carbs and customize their post-workout nutrition plan according to their diet and goals. Whether you’re looking to burn fat, gain mass, or prepare for a competition, this supplement can help you achieve your goals.
- Replenishes muscle glycogen stores quickly and fully for optimal muscle recovery and growth.
- Delicious mandarin orange flavor.
- Contains high-glycemic carbs for faster replenishment of muscle glycogen stores.
- Helps achieve elevated insulin levels for maximum uptake of nutrients by muscle cells.
- Can be customized to fit specific diets and goals by controlling carb intake.
- Only contains one ingredient (dextrose) which may not be suitable for those looking for a more comprehensive post-workout recovery supplement.
- Requires use with other supplements for maximum effectiveness.
- May not be suitable for those looking for a low-carb post-workout recovery option.
2. Muscle Recovery MuscleTech: Post-Workout Recovery Drinks
- MUSCLE RECOVERY – MuscleTech Clear Muscle is the world’s most advanced choice for post-workout muscle amplification & recovery. Clear Muscle contains a revolutionary compound designed to increase protein synthesis and decrease muscle breakdown
- HMB SUPPLEMENTS – Clear Muscle is packed with BetaTOR, a unique metabolite and free-acid HMB derivative of leucine – the most powerful amino acid
- 3.5X MUSCLE BUILDER – Subjects who combined BetaTOR with exercise gained 16.3 lbs of muscle in 12 weeks. The placebo group gained 4.6 lbs
- REDUCE MUSCLE BREAKDOWN – This supplement leads to better performance, strength, and lean muscle growth. One clinical study on BetaTOR showed that subjects increased protein synthesis by more than 70% and reduced muscle breakdown by 58% at the same time~~DAILY WORKOUT SUPPLEMENTS – Take 1 soft gel capsule, 3x daily. On workout days, take 1 of these servings 30 minutes before training
- Clear Muscle Post Workout Recovery | Muscle Builder for Men & Women | HMB Supplements | Sports Nutrition Post Workout Recovery & Muscle Building Supplements, 42 ct
MuscleTech Clear Muscle is a post-workout muscle builder supplement for men and women. It contains a revolutionary compound called BetaTOR, which is a unique metabolite and free-acid HMB derivative of leucine, the most powerful amino acid. This ingredient is designed to increase protein synthesis and decrease muscle breakdown, which leads to better performance, strength, and lean muscle growth. The supplement is claimed to be the world’s most advanced choice for post-workout muscle amplification and recovery.
The supplement is backed by 15 clinical studies, which have shown that subjects who combined BetaTOR with exercise gained 16.3 lbs of muscle in 12 weeks. The placebo group, on the other hand, only gained 4.6 lbs. One of the studies also showed that subjects increased protein synthesis by more than 70% and reduced muscle breakdown by 58% at the same time. This indicates that the supplement can lead to significant muscle growth and recovery in a short period of time.
The recommended daily dosage is 1 softgel capsule, 3 times a day. On workout days, it is suggested to take 1 of these servings 30 minutes before training. The supplement is not recommended for people under 18 years of age and should not be used if pregnant or nursing. If you're looking to find your competitive edge and redefine your performance, MuscleTech Clear Muscle can be a great option. The supplement has been developed by MuscleTech, a company that has been in the industry for more than two decades, fueling those with the strength to change the game.
- Promotes muscle recovery and amplification
- Contains BetaTOR, a powerful HMB derivative of leucine
- This can lead to a gain of 16.3 lbs of muscle in 12 weeks
- Reduces muscle breakdown and increases protein synthesis
- Convenient daily dosage of 1 softgel capsule, 3x daily
- Clinical studies are based on the use of the product in conjunction with exercise
- The product is not recommended for people under 18 years of age
- The product should not be used if pregnant or nursing\
3. MHP Dark Matter Top Post Workout Recovery Drinks
- ✓ triggers a 360% increase in muscle protein synthesis*
- ✓ spikes insulin and replenishes glycogen*
- ✓ Cell-Volumizing multi-phase creatine*
- Its soda, but better. Absolutely delicious, 2g of sugar, packed with recovery benefits. Soda that's actually healthy for you. Packed with recovery benefits and no added sugars.
- MHPs Dark Matter is a revolutionary new post-workout drink that stimulates recovery and triggers new muscle growth by maximizing the Anabolic Axis. The ...
- Dark Matters synergistic delivery of essential amino acids, carbohydrates, and creatine sparks a spike in protein synthesis, insulin and glycogen replenishment .
- Workout, Recovery Accelerator, w/Multi Phase Creatine, Waxy Maize Carbohydrate, 6g EAAs, Fruit Punch, 20 Servings, 55 Oz
MHP Dark Matter is a post-workout recovery accelerator that is designed to enhance muscle growth and recovery. It is formulated with a combination of essential amino acids, carbohydrates, and creatine that work together to spike protein synthesis, insulin, and glycogen replenishment. The product is designed for maximum speed, bio-effectiveness, and precise nutrient timing for optimal post-workout replenishment during the "anabolic window" immediately after your workout. The product comes in a fruit punch flavor and contains 20 servings of 55 oz.
One of the key ingredients in Dark Matter is ProSYNTHAGEN, which is a unique combination of clinically tested essential Free Form Amino Acids plus Amino Acid Peptides. This ingredient is clinically shown to increase protein synthesis by 360% and is enhanced with "Dual Portal Transport" for even faster and greater intestinal uptake. This gives ProSYNTHAGEN a much higher Protein Synthesis Score providing optimal muscle-building effects.
Another key ingredient in Dark Matter is WaxiMAX, a tri-polymer carbohydrate matrix composed of low-viscosity Waxy Maize starch, Maltoplex-18 glucose polymers, plus Dextrose. This matrix delivers a quick, powerful insulin spike and maximum glycogen replenishment, which helps in replenishing the glycogen stored in the muscles after a workout.
- Triggers a 360% increase in muscle protein synthesis
- Spikes insulin and replenishes glycogen
- Contains a Cell-Volumizing multi-phase creatine
- Contains 6g Essential Amino Acid Blend
- Informed Choice Certified
- It should be used in conjunction with exercise and a proper diet
- Not recommended for individuals under 18 years of age or pregnant or nursing women
- The taste may not be preferred by some people
4. Orgain Lemonade Sport
- New packaging, same great product. Includes 3g of apple cider vinegar to improve electrolyte absorption for healing and recovering muscles after a workout, and adaptogens that help maintain and support muscle strength after being broken down in training
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of the product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- Built with plant-powered ingredients that help muscles heal, recover and adapt such as turmeric, Ginger, lemons (Vitamin C), Rishi mushroom, and ashwagandha
- Usda Organic, Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, soy-free, and Dairy Free; no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- A premium post-workout plant-based powder Formulated with organic Food-Based ingredients for optimal performance
- Contains 1 (0.53 lb) tub of Orgain Sport recovery powder - lemonade
- Recovery Post-Workout Powder - Made with Apple Cider Vinegar, Turmeric, Ginger, and Ashwaganda, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy and Soy Free - 0.53 lbs (Packaging May Vary)
Orgain Lemonade Sport Recovery Post-Workout Powder is a premium line of plant-based powders that are formulated with organic food-based ingredients for optimal performance. The powder is designed to help muscles heal, recover and adapt after a workout. One of its key ingredients is 3g of apple cider vinegar that helps to improve electrolyte absorption for healing and recovering muscles after a workout. Additionally, it contains adaptogens such as turmeric, ginger, ashwagandha, Rishi mushroom and lemons (Vitamin C) that help maintain and support muscle strength after being broken down in training.
This powder is USDA Organic, vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free, and dairy-free. It contains no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Each tub of Orgain Sports recovery powder - lemonade contains 0.53 lbs of the powder. The product dimensions are 5 x 5 x 8 inches and it has a UPC of 851770007627. The powder is manufactured by AmazonUs/ORGBR and the ASIN is B085B5HP25.
It is important to note that while the product is formulated to provide optimal performance, it should be used in conjunction with proper diet and exercise. Additionally, it is important to always read the label, warnings, and directions before using or consuming the product. As per the disclaimer, the information presented on the website is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed healthcare professional. You should not use this information for self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease.
- Contains 3g of apple cider vinegar to improve electrolyte absorption for healing and recovering muscles after a workout
- Contains adaptogens such as turmeric, ginger, and ashwagandha to help maintain and support muscle strength after being broken down in training
- USDA Organic, vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free, and dairy-free
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- A premium line of plant-based powders formulated with organic food-based ingredients for optimal performance
- The flavor may not be preferred by some people.
- Product packaging may vary from what is shown on the website
- May contain more or different information than that shown on the website
5. Old School Vintage Best Post Workout Protein Shake
- BUILD & PRESERVE LEAN MUSCLE: Vintage Build utilizes three key ingredients that have been shown to help enhance muscle growth and muscle recovery when used following an intense workout. This post-workout supplement combines patented InstAminos Vegan BCAAs, Flavored Creatine, and L-Glutamine to help increase your muscle-building potential and support your lean and muscular physique goals. It is good post workout for men & women
- INCREASE STRENGTH: Strength improvements allow for the progressive overload of the muscles. Being able to push yourself hard then your last workout is what develops bigger and thicker muscle fibers. Creatine Monohydrate found in Vintage Build post-workout powder can help enhance overall strength and muscle endurance, allowing you to add more weight to your lifts. Best muscle builder man!
- IMPROVE RECOVERY: You’re only as good as how quickly you can recover from a training session. The faster you can recover, the faster you can get back in the gym and destroy your workouts. Vintage Build post-workout recovery drink is the ultimate post-workout recovery supplement that combines critical ingredients that play a role in improving recovery time.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs firmly stands by the quality, effectiveness, and commitment to no proprietary blends as a brand standard. If, for whatever reason, you are not 100% satisfied with any Old School Labs product that you purchase, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- CLASSIC VIBES: Old School Labs, 40 years in the making, formulated in California, made in the USA. Ultra-pure & clean supplements for physique perfection or life-changing transformations. From pre-workouts, multivitamins, and protein, to amino acids, greens, & thermogenic fat burners, we have the right supplement & nutritional solution for you. We’re here to answer your questions via social media or email so that you can achieve your goals the Old School way. #oldschoollabs #teamosl #iamoldschool
- Build Post-Workout Recovery Drink for Women & Men - Muscle Builder Man Flavored Creatine, BCAA, Glutamine - Vegan Muscle Recovery Supplement Fresh Berries Kreatine
VINTAGE BUILD is a 3-in-1 post-workout recovery drink that is designed to speed up recovery, reduce soreness, and amplify gains in lean muscle mass. The product is made by Old School Labs and contains Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), Creatine Monohydrate, and L-Glutamine. These three essential nutrients work together to help build muscle without the bulk. Creatine Monohydrate in Vintage Build post-workout powder enhances strength and muscle endurance, helping you to push yourself harder than your last workout, which develops bigger and thicker muscle fibers.
This post-workout recovery drink is formulated in Southern California, third-party tested, and made in the USA. Old School Labs prides themselves on telling you exactly what’s in the product. The product comes in natural flavors and contains 30 servings per container. The product dimensions are 3.5 x 3.5 x 5.75 inches and it has a weight of 13.2 ounces.
It is important to note that this product contains creatine and it is recommended to consult with a physician prior to using this product if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition. It is also recommended to drink with plenty of water and not to use if the seal is broken. Old School Labs offers a money-back guarantee, if you are not 100% satisfied with any Old School Labs product, they will provide a full refund.
- Speeds up recovery
- Reduces soreness
- Amplifies gains in lean muscle mass
- Contains essential nutrients (Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), Creatine Monohydrate, and L-Glutamine)
- Money-back guarantee from the manufacturer
- Consult with a physician prior to using if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition
- Contains creatine, which may cause stomach pain, nausea or upset stomach, diarrhea, bloating, muscle cramping, rash, swelling, itching and/or shortness of breath in some users
- Contains Creatine Monohydrate which may lead to weight gain.
6. Vega Sport Hydrator
- HYDRATION THAT LASTS AS LONG AS YOU DO. Replenish electrolytes that you lose while you sweat with 230 grams sodium, 115 grams potassium, 20 milligrams magnesium, and 50 milligrams calcium. Only five calories per serving.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- 100% DV OF VITAMIN C from acerola cherry extract in each serving to help support your immune system.
- EASY TO MIX HYDRATION POWDER that tastes delicious. Add one scoop to 16 ounces of water and mix or shake. Use during and after workouts, running, or other activities to help prevent dehydration.
- MADE FOR ATHLETES, NSF Certified for Sport, vegan certified, gluten free, dairy free and Non-GMO Project Certified. Vega Sport Hydrator is an excellent source of Antioxidant Vitamin C to help support the immune system.
- KETO FRIENDLY ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENT with no added sugar, sweetened with natural stevia, no artificial flavors and only five calories per serving. Available in two tasty flavors: Lemon Lime and Berry. Not a medical food.
- 50 SERVINGS PER CONTAINER. Contents may settle during shipping. Do not worry, that is normal. You are still getting all the servings listed on your product.
- Electrolyte Powder, Lemon Lime, Post Workout Recovery Drink for Women and Men, Vitamin C, Vegan, Keto, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Non GMO (50 Servings)
Vega Sport Hydration Electrolyte Powder Lemonade is a post-workout recovery drink designed to replenish electrolytes lost during sweating. Each serving contains 240-250mg of sodium, 120-130mg of potassium, 20mg of magnesium, and 50mg of calcium, which help to hydrate the body and prevent dehydration. The product also contains 100% DV of Vitamin C from acerola cherry extract, which helps support the immune system.
This hydration powder is easy to mix and comes in a delicious lemonade flavor. To enjoy, simply mix one pack of Vega Sport Hydration into 2 cups of ice-cold water. The product is suitable for use during and after workouts, running, or other activities to help prevent dehydration. Additionally, the product is vegan, gluten-free, and Non-GMO Project Certified, making it a great option for individuals who follow these dietary lifestyles.
The product comes in two flavors, Lemon Lime and Berry, and is sweetened with natural stevia, with no artificial flavors and only five calories per serving. Vega Sport Hydration Electrolyte Powder Lemonade is keto-friendly and contains no added sugar. Each container contains 50 servings, and the contents may settle during shipping, but that is normal, and you are still getting all the servings listed on your product. Vega Sport, the makers of this product have set lofty goals for a more sustainable future, starting with their B Corp certification and continuing onwards to 2030 where they aim to be plastic negative, carbon negative, and nature positive with a focus on regenerative & sustainable farming.
- Replenishes electrolytes lost during sweating
- Contains 100% DV of Vitamin C
- Easy to mix and tastes delicious
- Vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO
- Keto-friendly with no added sugar
- Packaging may vary
- May not be suitable for individuals who are sensitive to stevia
- Not a medical food
7. XTEND Elite BCAA Best Recovery Drink For Endurance Athletes
- XTEND BCAA POWDER FOR MEN & WOMEN - The Worlds #1 BCAA Brand has been perfecting recovery since 2004 with 7 grams of BCAAs in the nature-designed and research-proven 2:1:1 ratio
- IMPROVE V02 MAX - Formulated with PeakO2, a research-backed blend shown to help support stamina, increase time to exhaustion, and enhance anaerobic power output
- INCREASE REP COUNT - Formulated with CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, a premium clinically studied beta-alanine, which has been studied to support muscular endurance and fight fatigue
- BETTER PERFORMANCE & HYDRATION - Formulated with added electrolytes to keep you hydrated and an advanced super creatine compound to support strength and performance
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS UNLIKE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET - Black Cherry, Citrus Passionfruit, Island Punch Fusion, Sour Gummy
- Powder Sour Gummy | Sugar Free Post Workout Muscle Recovery Drink with Amino Acids | 7g BCAAs for Men & Women| 30 Servings, 1.19 lb, 19.04 oz
XTEND Elite BCAA Powder Sour Gummy is a post-workout recovery drink that contains a blend of amino acids, electrolytes, and other performance-enhancing ingredients. This powder is designed to help improve recovery, increase endurance, and enhance performance for both men and women. One of the key features of this powder is its 7 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) in the clinically studied 2:1:1 ratio. This ratio of BCAAs has been shown to support muscle growth and repair.
In addition to the BCAA blend, this powder also contains a replenishing electrolyte blend to support hydration and an advanced super creatine compound to support strength and performance. It also contains 3.5 grams of leucine, which has been shown to support muscle protein synthesis, and CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, which has been studied to support muscular endurance and fight fatigue. The powder also contains PeakO2, a research-backed blend of organic mushrooms that helps support stamina, increases time to exhaustion, and enhances anaerobic power output.
XTEND Elite BCAA Powder Sour Gummy comes in a delicious Sour Gummy flavor and it is sugar-free. It is formulated to be the best for those who demand the best and is designed to take your training and results to elite levels. It is perfect for those looking for a high-quality BCAA supplement to support recovery, endurance, and performance.
- Contains 7 grams of BCAAs in the clinically-studied 2:1:1 ratio
- Formulated with PeakO2 to support stamina and increase time to exhaustion
- Contains CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine to support muscular endurance and fight fatigue
- Includes added electrolytes for hydration
- Available in delicious flavors
- Some users may experience stomach discomfort with the addition of CitraMax Citrulline Nitrate
- May not be suitable for those with allergies to mushrooms as it contains PeakO2.
- Some users may find it too sweet due to the artificial sweeteners\
8. PacificHealth Endurox: Best Recovery Drink For Sore Muscles
- Revolutionary patented 4:1 carb-protein ratio speeds up muscle recovery after intense workouts
- Works with your body's natural recovery system to provide unsurpassed protein synthesis
- Decrease muscle damage substantially when you use Endurox within 45min of after a workout
- Increase endurance in subsequent workouts after using Endurox so you can always perform your best
- Endurox is the only post-workout drink mix backed by science with over 18 peer-reviewed studies
- R4, Post Workout Recovery Drink Mix with Protein, Carbs, Electrolytes and Antioxidants for Superior Muscle Recovery, Net Wt. 4.56 lb, 28 Serving (Fruit Punch)
PacificHealth Endurox R4 is a post-workout recovery drink mix that contains a patented 4:1 carb-protein ratio that is designed to speed up muscle recovery after intense workouts. The product works with the body's natural recovery system to provide protein synthesis and decrease muscle damage. It also increases endurance in subsequent workouts. Endurox is the only post-workout drink mix that is backed by science with over 18 peer-reviewed studies.
However, it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. It is recommended to be consumed within a 20-minute window following vigorous exercise, and not as a meal replacement due to its high sugar content. The taste and consistency of the drink is generally well received, with the best flavors being Lemon-Lime, Chocolate, Orange, and Fruit Punch. It can be used as a pre-workout supplement if consumed 20-30 minutes before needed.
- Contains the patented 4:1 carb-protein ratio which speeds up muscle recovery after intense workouts.
- Works with the body’s natural recovery system to provide unsurpassed protein synthesis.
- Decreases muscle damage substantially when taken within 45 minutes of a workout.
- Increases endurance in subsequent workouts.
- Backed by science with over 18 peer-reviewed studies.
- Discontinued by manufacturer.
- Some users may find the taste to be unappealing.
- Not suitable for those with dairy or lactose intolerance.
9. Garden of Life Sport Vegan: Best Recovery Drink For Runners
- ORGANIC RECOVERY DRINK: Our post workout supplement is certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, NSF Certified for Sport, Informed-Choice for Sport Certified, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
- REDUCES MUSCLE SORENESS: Our antioxidant supplement helps preserve lean muscle mass and reduce soreness post workout
- REDUCE OXIDATIVE STRESS: Our workout supplement also included is Organic Turmeric, Organic Gogi berries, Organic Blueberries, Organic Apples and Organic Rooibos to enhance its antioxidant power
- JUMP START MUSCLE REPAIR: This post workout powder includes organic cane sugar for direct energy and whole food magnesium and organic b vitamins to energize cellular level repair
- POST WORKOUT SUPPLEMENT: Use immediately after workout to support recovery
- Organic Plant Based Post Workout Muscle Recovery Powder for Men & Women - BlackBerry Lemonade 30 Servings, 100mg Magnesium, Antioxidants, Supplements, 15.7 Oz
- Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified
- Contains antioxidants to reduce muscle soreness
- Includes Organic Turmeric, Gogi berries, Blueberries, Apples and Rooibos to enhance antioxidant power
- Contains organic cane sugar for direct energy and whole food magnesium and organic B vitamins for cellular level repair
- Certified by NSF for Sport and Informed-Choice for Sport
- May not be suitable for individuals with allergies to gluten, dairy or soy
- May be more expensive compared to other post-workout supplements
- Only available in one flavor (Blackberry Lemonade)
How To Choose The Best Post Workout Recovery Drinks | Ultimate Guide 2023
What does "post-workout" mean?
Many people think that post-workout means immediately after exercise. In reality, however, the post-workout nutritional window is much broader. Depending on the duration and intensity of the workout, the time to consume anything after exercise can range from a few minutes to several hours. The main purpose of post-workout nutrition is to replenish glycogen stores and help repair and rebuild muscles.
Although there are many commercial products that claim to be the best post-workout drinks, they are not always necessary. In fact, many simple foods and drinks you have at home can provide the same benefits. Today we bring you the top 20 post-workout drinks to help you access the best options for muscle, nutrient, and mineral rebuilding and repair after exercise.
How do you choose a post-workout drink?
There are a few things to consider when choosing the best post-workout drink. First, consider the type of exercise and its duration. If you have done a short, intense workout, you need a product that will quickly replenish your glycogen stores. Longer, endurance-intensive exercise requires a drink that helps replenish hydration and electrolytes. Next, consider when you will be able to eat; after an hour, a simple carbohydrate drink will suffice.
If you won't be able to eat for several hours, look for a drink that contains protein and carbohydrates. Finally, think about your goals. Do you want to gain muscle or lose fat? If you are trying to build muscle, you need a drink that contains protein and carbohydrates. If you are trying to reduce fat, you need a drink with fewer calories and sugar.
How can protein powder drinks help me after training?
The protein powder in the drink helps rebuild the muscles that were destroyed during training. It also helps you lose fat by making you feel full and preventing you from overeating afterward. Protein powder is an especially effective post-workout drink when trying to build muscle.
What are the best supplements for post-workout?
Creatine is a popular supplement for post-workout recovery. It is thought to work by helping replenish ATP stores that are used as energy during exercise.
There are many other supplements, such as protein powders, that are effective for post-workout recovery.
Water alone is not enough
For optimal muscle recovery and electrolyte replenishment, water has its limitations. The body needs something more nutritious, and water does not respond to the subtle signals the body gives after exercise. So water can be an unpalatable and unappealing post-workout drink.
When we sweat, we lose not only water but also electrolytes such as sodium, which are important for physical performance. They help regulate water pressure in and out of cells and maintain all nerve and cellular functions. Adding an electrolyte supplement to your hydration regimen can enhance the effectiveness of your hydration regimen.
Electrolyte drinks are important for hydration
Electrolytes such as sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium are excellent for maintaining muscle health and physical performance after exercise. A variety of drinks contain electrolytes, including sports drinks, milk, and orange juice. They all have different advantages and disadvantages.
Sports drinks, such as Gatorade, provide an excellent balance of nutrients and electrolytes but contain large amounts of sugar, unnatural coloring, and preservatives. They are not suitable for diabetics or those who wish to avoid sugar.
Milk is excellent because it contains a good balance of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and some protein, but not everyone can drink milk without complications. There are many reasons to avoid milk, including lactose intolerance, vegan diets, and avoidance of hormone additives, and it is not suitable for everyone. Fresh orange juice is high in natural sugars and is not available all year round.
These drinks are not readily available immediately after exercise unless you are at home or near a market. If you don't have much time to prepare a special drink after a workout, you may need something more convenient. Hydration supplements are an easy way to turn a bottle of water into an electrolyte and nutrient-replacement drink. Our hydration tablets dissolve in water and come in a convenient package that you can slip into your purse, pocket, or gym bag.
Add muscle recovery supplements for better performance
Beyond electrolyte supplementation, it is also important to choose supplements that can aid in muscle repair and recovery after exercise. Training causes the body to break down muscle protein. During rest periods, the body needs to ensure that it has sufficient amino acids in the diet to repair and build muscle.
BCAAs are "branched-chain amino acids" and include three of the nine essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, and valine, which are not produced by the body. Our bodies use these amino acids to make the proteins that makeup muscle tissue. The atomic arrangement of "branched" amino acids is nonlinear, and this unique structure makes them essential for muscle growth and maintenance.
BCAAs can be supplemented in the diet at any time, but adding them to your post-workout drink ensures that they reach the body at the right time when muscle repair begins.
Make your post-workout drink more effective
Here are some other vitamins and minerals that are included in the Sports Recovery Tablets that have targeted benefits for athletes.
Benefits of Beets for Athletes
Beet juice contains nitric oxide (NO), which promotes cardiorespiratory endurance for improved sports performance. Studies have shown that beets can improve exercise efficiency, performance, endurance (shortening the time to exhaustion), and cardiopulmonary function during high-intensity training.
Best things to drink after exercise to help you recover
That's right, water. It is usually available at gyms and at home, so the first thing you should do after a workout is to hydrate yourself. Weigh yourself before and after your workout. For every pound of water lost during exercise, replenish 16 to 20 ounces of water. While water contains no calories, it also contains no protein or carbohydrates. Therefore, if you choose water as a recovery drink, pair it with a snack to replenish lost protein and carbohydrates.
Not just for kids! With a carbohydrate-to-protein ratio of approximately 4:1, chocolate milk is an ideal ingredient for muscle glycogen replenishment and recovery. Studies have shown that chocolate milk speeds recovery and lengthens the time it takes to reach exhaustion on your next workout.
Similar to electrolyte-rich sports drinks, drinking 100% fruit juice replenishes electrolytes lost through sweat, as well as carbohydrates and glucose. Sour cherry juice is growing in popularity because it contains anti-inflammatory chemicals that prevent muscle damage and reduce muscle soreness. Cherry juice is also very rich in heart-healthy antioxidants.
Fruit smoothies with yogurt and frozen berries help the monosaccharides in the fruit quickly replenish glycogen stores. They also contain protein sources, vitamins, and antioxidants to help repair muscles.
Beverages such as Powerade and Gatorade help to quickly replenish electrolytes lost through sweat. They also contain high levels of calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, and other useful ingredients. However, many are high in calories, which can be counterproductive during short workouts, so read labels carefully.
We are not talking about coconut milk here, but coconut water. One glass (11 ounces) of coconut water contains 14 grams of sugar and 670 milligrams of potassium, far more than the intake of a sports drink. Potassium works with sodium to maintain water balance and induce optimal muscle contraction and relaxation.
Vegetable juices contain many useful nutrients. Tomato-based juices are especially beneficial because they contain lycopene, an antioxidant that protects muscles from the stresses of exercise. Many vegetable juices also contain much higher levels of potassium than sports drinks.
While some iced versions are ideal for cooling down right after a workout, they can also be enjoyed hot. Green tea is an excellent source of catechins, antioxidants that fight heart disease and cancer. A recent study showed that drinking five cups of green tea a day for three months can help reduce belly fat.
Hot coffee may not seem like an attractive beverage for muscle recovery, but it does have its benefits (as does iced coffee). The caffeine in coffee speeds up the absorption of carbohydrates needed to replenish glycogen after exercise. Keep in mind that most bodies only have enough glycogen for one intense workout. Therefore, rapid replenishment is essential, especially on double training days.
Best Post Workout Recovery Drinks | Video Explanation
Do I need to take supplements before or after exercise?
No, you do not need to supplement before or after exercise. You can get the nutrients you need from food alone. However, if there is a deficiency of a nutrient in a particular diet or food, supplements can help to make up for that deficiency.
What is the best post-workout supplement for building muscle?
There is no single supplement that is most effective for building muscle. Nevertheless, there are many studies that show that consuming carbohydrates and protein after exercise is effective for muscle protein synthesis. Building muscle is a result of resistance training, and while some protein supplements can help with this, you cannot build muscle without strength training.
Is oatmeal a good post-workout meal?
Yes, oatmeal is a good post-workout meal because it contains both carbohydrates and protein." After an intense workout, it is ideal to choose food rich in a combination of good carbohydrates and protein to replenish." McGowan says." The carbohydrates in oatmeal provide longer-lasting energy and help replenish carbohydrates used during exercise."
Is a post-workout drink good for you?
For intense or prolonged exercise, drinking a healthy beverage after training can reduce recovery time, relieve muscle soreness, and even improve strength, power, body composition, and performance, according to a study published in the Nutrition Journal in June 2013!
Are post-workout drinks worth it?
If your training sessions are intense or long, a healthy post-workout drink can reduce recovery time, ease muscle soreness, and even improve strength, power, body composition, and performance, according to a study published in the Nutrition Journal in June 2013 According to the results.
Can recovery drinks help relieve muscle soreness?
A recent small study concluded that protein shakes do not reduce post-workout muscle soreness or speed muscle recovery compared to high-carbohydrate beverages.
Why is post-workout recovery important?
Active recovery improves blood circulation and helps remove waste products from soft tissues that have been destroyed by intense exercise. Fresh blood flow then provides nutrients that help repair and regenerate muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
What Is The Best Recovery Drink After Workout?
The best recovery drink after a workout depends on the type and intensity of the exercise, as well as individual preferences and dietary restrictions. However, there are a few key components that a good post-workout drink should have:
- Carbohydrates: Exercise depletes glycogen stores in the muscles, so replenishing carbohydrates is important to restore energy levels. Consuming carbohydrates after a workout also helps to stimulate insulin production, which aids in protein synthesis.
- Protein: Protein is important for muscle recovery and repair. Consuming protein after a workout helps to rebuild muscle tissue and prevent muscle breakdown.
- Electrolytes: Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium are lost through sweat during exercise. Replenishing these electrolytes can help to prevent dehydration and maintain fluid balance.
Here are some examples of good recovery drinks:
- Chocolate milk: Chocolate milk contains a good balance of carbohydrates and protein, and is also a good source of calcium and electrolytes.
- Protein shake: A protein shake made with whey protein or plant-based protein powder is a convenient and easy way to get a high dose of protein after a workout.
- Coconut water: Coconut water is a natural source of electrolytes, and also contains some carbohydrates for energy.
- Fruit smoothie: A fruit smoothie made with Greek yogurt or protein powder, fruit, and a source of liquid like almond milk or coconut water can be a tasty and nutrient-dense recovery drink.
Ultimately, it's important to choose a recovery drink that you enjoy and that fits your individual needs and preferences.
Should You Drink A Recovery Drink After Workout?
Drinking a recovery drink after a workout can be beneficial for many reasons. Exercise depletes glycogen stores in the muscles, which are the primary source of energy during exercise. Consuming carbohydrates after a workout can help to replenish these glycogen stores and restore energy levels.
Additionally, exercise can cause muscle damage and breakdown, and consuming protein after a workout can help to repair and rebuild muscle tissue. Consuming a recovery drink that contains both carbohydrates and protein can help to optimize muscle recovery and improve overall exercise performance.
In addition to carbohydrates and protein, a good recovery drink may also contain electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium, which are lost through sweat during exercise. Replenishing these electrolytes can help to prevent dehydration and maintain fluid balance.
It's worth noting that while a recovery drink can be helpful, it's not always necessary. If you have a well-balanced meal that contains carbohydrates and protein within a few hours after your workout, you may not need a separate recovery drink. Ultimately, it's important to listen to your body and make choices based on your individual needs and preferences.
What Should I Take For Post Workout Recovery?
To optimize post-workout recovery, it's important to focus on three key areas: rehydration, refueling, and repairing. Here are some tips on what to take for post-workout recovery:
- Rehydrate: Replenishing fluids lost through sweat during exercise is crucial for recovery. Water is the best choice for most people, but if you have lost a lot of fluids, a sports drink that contains electrolytes can help to replenish sodium and potassium lost through sweat.
- Refuel with Carbohydrates: Consuming carbohydrates after a workout can help to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles and restore energy levels. Good sources of carbohydrates include fruits, whole grains, and starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes.
- Repair with Protein: Consuming protein after a workout can help to repair and rebuild muscle tissue. Good sources of protein include lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, beans, and legumes. A protein supplement like whey protein powder can also be a convenient option.
- Replenish Electrolytes: Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium are lost through sweat during exercise. Replenishing these electrolytes can help to prevent dehydration and maintain fluid balance. Sports drinks, coconut water, and electrolyte tablets are all good options.
- Anti-inflammatory foods: Inflammation is a natural response to exercise-induced muscle damage. However, excessive inflammation can impair recovery. Consuming anti-inflammatory foods like berries, dark leafy greens, fatty fish, and nuts can help to reduce inflammation and promote recovery.
Ultimately, the best post-workout recovery plan will depend on the individual's needs and preferences. It's important to listen to your body and make choices based on your own goals and recovery needs.
What Do Bodybuilders Drink After A Workout?
Bodybuilders typically consume a post-workout drink that contains a mix of carbohydrates and protein to help replenish glycogen stores and promote muscle recovery. Whey protein is a popular choice for bodybuilders due to its fast absorption rate and high leucine content, which is important for muscle protein synthesis. Some bodybuilders may also add other ingredients to their post-workout drink, such as creatine, BCAAs, or glutamine, to further enhance recovery.
Should I Drink Gatorade After A Workout?
Gatorade can be a good choice for some people after a workout, especially if they have lost a lot of fluids through sweat. Gatorade contains carbohydrates and electrolytes, which can help to replenish glycogen stores and restore electrolyte balance. However, it's worth noting that Gatorade also contains added sugars and artificial ingredients, so it's not the best choice for everyone. For some people, water and a balanced meal may be sufficient for post-workout recovery.
Should I Take Electrolytes Or Protein After Workout?
Both electrolytes and protein are important for post-workout recovery, but they serve different purposes. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium are lost through sweat during exercise, so replenishing them can help to prevent dehydration and maintain fluid balance. Protein, on the other hand, is important for repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue that has been damaged during exercise.
If you have lost a lot of fluids through sweat during exercise, you may benefit from consuming electrolytes after your workout. This can be in the form of a sports drink, coconut water, or electrolyte tablets. If your goal is to promote muscle recovery and repair, consuming protein after a workout is important. Good sources of protein include lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, beans, and legumes. A protein supplement like whey protein powder can also be a convenient option. Ultimately, the best post-workout recovery plan will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
What Can I Drink For Muscle Soreness?
While there's no one magic drink that can completely eliminate muscle soreness, there are some beverages that can help alleviate discomfort and promote recovery:
- Water: Staying hydrated is important for overall muscle health and can help to reduce muscle soreness. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, and more if you are exercising heavily.
- Tart cherry juice: Tart cherry juice contains anti-inflammatory compounds that can help to reduce muscle soreness and inflammation. Drinking 8-12 ounces of tart cherry juice per day may be beneficial for reducing muscle soreness.
- Green tea: Green tea contains antioxidants that can help to reduce inflammation and promote recovery. Drinking 2-3 cups of green tea per day may be beneficial for reducing muscle soreness.
- Ginger tea: Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties and can help to reduce muscle soreness and inflammation. Drinking ginger tea or adding fresh ginger to your water or smoothies can help to alleviate muscle soreness.
- Protein shake: Consuming protein after a workout can help to repair and rebuild muscle tissue that has been damaged during exercise, which may reduce muscle soreness over time. A protein shake made with whey protein powder or another high-quality protein source can be a convenient option.
In addition to these drinks, it's important to rest and allow your muscles time to recover. Gentle stretching, massage, and other recovery techniques can also be helpful in reducing muscle soreness.
What Makes A Good Recovery Drink?
A good recovery drink should contain ingredients that help replenish the body's energy stores, promote muscle recovery, and rehydrate the body after exercise. Here are some key components that make a good recovery drink:
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are essential for replenishing glycogen stores in the muscles after exercise. Look for a recovery drink that contains a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates to provide a quick energy boost and sustained energy release.
- Protein: Protein is important for repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue that has been damaged during exercise. Look for a recovery drink that contains a high-quality protein source, such as whey protein, to promote muscle recovery.
- Electrolytes: Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium are lost through sweat during exercise and need to be replenished to maintain proper fluid balance and prevent dehydration. Look for a recovery drink that contains electrolytes to help rehydrate the body.
- Vitamins and minerals: Vitamins and minerals play important roles in muscle function and recovery. Look for a recovery drink that contains a mix of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and magnesium, to support muscle recovery and reduce inflammation.
- Low in added sugars: While carbohydrates are important for recovery, it's important to choose a drink that is low in added sugars. High sugar intake can lead to inflammation and insulin resistance, which can interfere with muscle recovery.
Ultimately, the best recovery drink will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Be sure to choose a drink that contains a balance of carbohydrates, protein, electrolytes, and other important nutrients to promote optimal recovery after exercise.
What Helps Muscles Recover Faster?
There are several things that can help muscles recover faster after exercise:
- Rest: Giving your muscles time to rest and recover is essential for promoting muscle repair and growth. Aim to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, and take rest days between workouts to allow your muscles time to recover.
- Nutrition: Consuming a balanced diet that includes plenty of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats can help to support muscle recovery. Be sure to eat a meal or snack containing carbohydrates and protein within 30 minutes of finishing your workout to help replenish glycogen stores and promote muscle repair.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is important for muscle recovery, as dehydration can lead to muscle cramps and decreased muscle function. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and consider drinking a recovery drink that contains electrolytes after exercise to help rehydrate the body.
- Stretching: Gentle stretching after exercise can help to promote blood flow and reduce muscle soreness. Try to stretch major muscle groups for at least 10-15 minutes after each workout.
- Massage: Massage can help to increase blood flow to the muscles, which can promote muscle repair and recovery.
How Do Athletes Recover So Quickly?
Athletes are able to recover quickly due to several factors. One of the main reasons is that they have highly trained bodies that are able to adapt and recover more quickly than an average person. Athletes also typically have access to resources that can aid in their recovery, such as massage therapists, physiotherapists, and sports nutritionists.
Another important factor is that athletes prioritize rest and recovery as part of their training regimen. They often have a structured recovery plan that includes activities such as stretching, foam rolling, and rest days. Adequate sleep is also crucial for recovery, and many athletes prioritize getting enough sleep to ensure their bodies can recover from intense training sessions.
Finally, athletes typically follow a well-balanced diet that includes sufficient amounts of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. They may also consume supplements or sports drinks to aid in their recovery, such as protein powder or electrolyte-rich beverages.
What Not To Do After A Workout?
After a workout, there are several things you should avoid doing to promote recovery and prevent injury. Here are some common mistakes to avoid:
- Skipping the cool-down: After a workout, it's important to gradually reduce your heart rate and stretch your muscles to prevent injury and aid in recovery. Skipping the cool-down can lead to soreness and stiffness.
- Neglecting to hydrate: Hydration is crucial for recovery, as it helps transport nutrients and oxygen to your muscles. Be sure to drink plenty of water after your workout.
- Eating a heavy meal: While it's important to refuel after a workout, eating a heavy meal can make you feel sluggish and interfere with your recovery. Instead, opt for a light, nutrient-rich snack or meal.
- Sitting for too long: Sitting for long periods of time after a workout can lead to stiffness and soreness. Try to get up and move around every hour or so to keep your muscles loose.
- Overdoing it: While it's important to push yourself during a workout, overdoing it can lead to injury and slow down your recovery. Listen to your body and avoid pushing yourself beyond your limits.
In conclusion, choosing the right post-workout recovery drink is crucial for achieving optimal muscle recovery and growth. Factors such as protein content, carbohydrate content, and added supplements like creatine and BCAAs can all play a role in maximizing your results. Whether you prefer a ready-to-drink shake or a powder to mix with water, there are plenty of high-quality post-workout recovery drinks available on the market.
By prioritizing proper nutrition and recovery, you can help ensure that your hard work in the gym translates to noticeable gains in strength and muscle mass.
Hi, I am Matt Storace and I am a former personal trainer and founder of Beast Biceps. We had to find ways to train at home. When I started looking for the equipment I needed, I quickly realized that there were no good resources online. So I created Beast Biceps. It is a treasure trove of information developed from my experience and research. Read More Here
Leave a Reply